The Library at the College of DuPage offers a variety of patron-centered computing facilities which are available during all hours of operation.
The Library has computers which are available for use by all patrons. All Library PC's run the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system and are connected to network printers and the Internet. A variety of software is available on Library computers. Please familiarize yourself with the policies on the use of Library computers.
The Library has laptop computers available for use in the Library. The laptops run the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system. Those patrons wishing to connect to the Internet using a Library laptop can do so on both levels of the Library using the public wireless network. The Library also circulates laptop computers for use outside the Library for College faculty and staff. For information about this service, please contact the circulation department at (630) 942-2106.
The Library offers the following software on all of its PC and laptop computers:
- Microsoft Office 2010
- Microsoft Office 2013
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 (only at scanning stations)
Library users can access the Internet using the COD Public Wireless network. The network extends throughout the Library and can be accessed with wireless enabled computers.
To connect to the network:
- Turn on your laptop and open a Web browser.
- Upon opening your browser, you should be redirected automatically to a secure log-in screen. (This process may take up to one minute depends on the computer's wireless configuration.)
Please note that student laptops checked-out from the Library are pre-configured to access the Internet without having to log in. These laptops are also able to send print jobs to the Library's print queues. Students using their own laptops can save their documents online or copy them to a flash drive and have them printed at the CSPS desk.
If you have any problems accessing or using the wireless network, please contact the Computer Support & Printing Services department.
Patrons can go to the Computing Support & Printing Services desk if they need immediate assistance with printers, copiers, microfilm readers, computers and installed software.
Library print jobs are managed by SmartPrint, a web-based system that allows you to easily manage your print jobs in the Library and at COD.
- No more print cards
- Pay with cash or credit/debits cards
- Web-based account management at smartprint.cod.edu
- Scan documents and send them directly your e-mail accounts
- You can exchange your old Library print cards and credit for new SmartPrint credit (up until Fall 2016)
- The Library has four Black & White printers, two Black & White copiers, and one Color printer/copier
- Printers are set to print double-sided by default
- Letter size black and white single-side price is $0.05/page
- Letter size black and white duplex price is $0.09/sheet
- Letter size color price is $0.17/page
- Visit https://smartprint.cod.edu and use your myACCESS login credentials to create an online account.
- Once you're logged in, click on the “Add Funds” link displayed next to your account balance. The minimum amount for an online transaction is $5.
- At the print release stations, students use their myACCESS login credentials to view and release their documents.
- Create a guest account by going to https://smartprint.cod.edu
- Once there, use the “I am a guest” link in the lower left-hand corner of the login page to create the account
- Use your personal e-mail account to complete the registration process.
- Log into the Smart Print system using the e-mail address and password used to create your account
All users can use the cash kiosk in the Library Print Center to add money to accounts using paper money (coins not accepted). The kiosk will not provide change. The minimum amount of fund that can be added using the cash kiosk is $1.
The Library has two stations for printing in color and/or scanning documents or pictures. Software appropriate for these activities is also available on these computers. The color printer is also visible and accessible on all public PCs.
Color printing cost is 65 cents per page for 8.5" x 11" copies and $1.00 for 11" x 17" copies. Assistance in using the color printing and scanning stations is available at the Computing Support and Printing Services desk.
There are black and white copiers available in the Library near the CSPS service desk. Black and white copies cost 6.6 cents per page with a copy card and 10 cents without a card. Color copies are 65 cents per page for 8.5" x 11" copies and $1.00 for 11" x 17" copies or color transparencies. Copying services for college faculty and staff are available at the College Copy Center located on the ground floor of the BIC.
The Library offers a variety of assistive technologies for our patrons with special needs. Please refer to the Library Services for Special Needs page for a complete list of these services.