Finding Cosmetology Materials in the COD Library
This guide will help you find books, videos, articles and websites about Cosmetology topics.
If you need additional help, come to the Library Reference Desk or Ask A Librarian.
The Library has a variety of current cosmetology materials in both print and electronic format. Find books and videos using the Library Catalog.
The best way to start searching the Library catalog is to do a keyword search for words that describe your topic. Try to choose specific keywords. You may need to experiment with keywords to find ones that work for your topic. Once you find some items, you can use subject headings to find other items that cover the same topic.
Call Number Ranges
Use these call number ranges to browse the General Collection and the Reference Collection.
|GT2340 / TT950 - TT958||Beauty Culture|
|GT2290 - GT2310 / TT950 - TT979||Hair Styles|
|GT2340 / RA776 - RA778 / TP983||Cosmetics|
- Ebook Central
- Contains a variety of books on the beauty and fashion industries. You'll need a library card to access this collection.
- How old is this material? Is there a date of publication? Is the material out-of-date?
- Who wrote this information? Is the company or person who sponsors the website reputable?
- Is the website trying to sell you something?
- Is the information biased? Does it seem like the author is just giving his/her opinion? Is the author making a one-sided argument? (not offering an alternate point-of-view?)
- Is the information backed up with facts that you can confirm using other sources?
- Professional Beauty Association
- The PBA offers a variety of services and information resources for students.
- PBA Beauty Industry Guide
- A large directory of manufacturers of cosmetology and grooming products in the U.S., along with company profiles and contact information.
- Cosmetology at COD
- Information about the opportunities in cosmetology at COD. Current career information is also included.
- OSHA Information on Safety for Hair Stylists
- This site offers information on safety, health and procedures for safely managing hair salons and the protection of workers and clients.
The following materials are available for check-out in the career and college collection in the Library:
Milady's standard cosmetology exam review, 2012
Getting it right : Milady's survival guide for cosmetology students
The Library has a large collection of databases for locating articles. Associates Program Source Plus and Business Source Complete are great for cosmetology and beauty industry topics but you may also find good information in Academic Search Premier and in newspapers such as the Chicago Tribune and the New York Times. For inspiration and the latest style trends, try WGSN (new!), WWD & Vogue.
Full List:Cosmetology Databases
Examples (have your library card ready)
Websites and Images
There are several tools available for searching the Internet. Using a variety of tools is always a good rule of thumb when looking for information on the web. Google is a great resource but also try some of the other tools on the Library's Search the Web pages.
Its important to evaluate the information from websites. When reviewing information, ask the following questions:
Here's a small selection of quality websites for cosmetology professionals: