The Library provides access to many online article databases that will help you locate journal, magazine, and newspaper articles. You can search by keyword, subject, author and title.
Databases are organized collections of information that you can search by a variety of fields, like title, author's name, subject or keyword. iTunes is a database and so is Amazon. The Library has databases of articles from newspapers, magazines and journals. We also have databases of streaming videos, music and e-books. The difference between our databases and iTunes or Amazon is that our databases are free for you to use. You can browse the library's databases here: Article Databases by Subject
You must have a valid College of DuPage library card to access the electronic indexes and databases from off-campus.
Includes Chicago Tribune, New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and more
Databases by Subject
Choose an database according to your subject of interest.
- Begin your research in the Health and Medicine Databases
What databases contain the best Surgical Technology-related articles?
- Each database contains different resources (journals, e-books, magazines, newspapers, pamphlets, etc.)--You may need to run your search in several databases. Read the database descriptions to locate databases most relevant to your search.
- Begin your research in CINAHL because it allows you to “drill down” and find specific information.
The online Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature, CINAHL, covers nursing, allied health, biomedical and consumer health journals. It includes the CINAHL Thesaurus and full text of over 1,300 important nursing and clinical journals. CINAHL uses controlled vocabulary (subject headings and subheadings) to represent concepts allowing more thorough searches. It also has fantastic limits allowing you to restrict your searches to articles written in the past 5 years, peer-reviewed journals, and specific types of publications (research articles, case studies, continuing education, etc).
- Search Micromedex Health Care Series for DRUG information and Micromedex's CareNotes for patient education materials. MICROMEDEX Healthcare Series provides full-text information supporting clinical care decisions including: drug monographs and evaluations, drug dosages and interactions, drug product identification, reproductive risks, toxicity management, alternative medicine/herbal preparations information, acute/emergency care guidelines, drug, disease and condition information for patients, laboratory test information, dosage calculators, nomograms, and references
- Pay attention to online journal article embargos
- Some journals are ONLY available in print—the Library has photocopiers and flatbed scanners
Academic Search Complete
Academic Search Complete contains indexing and full text for 9,100 journals. 7,100 of these journals are peer-reviewed scholarly titles. This collection provides both popular and scholarly journal coverage for nearly all academic areas of study - including social sciences, humanities, education, computer sciences, engineering, physics, chemistry, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences and ethnic studies.
Academic Video Online
A diverse collection of full-length streaming videos. A wide-range of disciplines are included. Most useful to surgical technology is the Health & Health Care collection. Also included in the subscription are full transcripts of each video program that are keyword searchable, easy playlist and clip making functionality, permanent embeddable URLs for easy use in online courses.
Care Notes helps medical professionals educate patients and their families about certain conditions. Contains 2500 English and 2500 Spanish documents that address patient condition, treatment, follow-up care, psychosocial issues, continuing health, and the most frequently administered drugs.
The online version of Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature, CINAHL Complete covers nursing, allied health, biomedical and consumer health journals. It now includes the CINAHL Thesaurus and full text of over 1,300 important nursing and clinical journals as well as over 130 Evidence-based Care Sheets; nearly 170 Quick Lessons providing Overviews of Disease and Conditions; 170 Continuing Education Modules; and full text for 360 Research Instrument Records.
Gale Virtual Reference Library (GVRL) GVRL is a collection of online reference books on a variety of topics including Business, History, Literature, Medicine, Social Science, Technology and many more.
individual entries from these resources can be printed and emailed.
Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
This resource provides 600 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Coverage of nursing and allied health is particularly strong. In addition, this database includes the Clinical Pharmacology database, providing access to up-to-date, concise and clinically relevant drug monographs for all U.S. prescription drugs, hard-to-find herbal and nutritional supplements, over-the-counter products and new drugs.
MedlinePlus has extensive information from the National Institutes of Health and other trusted sources on over 900 diseases and conditions. There are also lists of hospitals and physicians, a medical encyclopedia and a medical dictionary, health information in Spanish, extensive information on prescription and nonprescription drugs, health information from the media, and links to thousands of clinical trials.
MICROMEDEX Healthcare Series
Provides full-text information supporting clinical care decisions including: drug monographs and evaluations (including contrast media), drug dosages and interactions, drug product identification, reproductive risks, toxicity management, alternative medicine/herbal preparations information, acute/emergency care guidelines, drug, disease and condition information for patients, laboratory test information, dosage calculators, nomograms, and references
Nursing Education in Video
An online collection of videos created specifically for the education and training of nurses, nursing assistants, and other healthcare workers. All of the videos in the collection have been created with the guidance of the Medcom-Trainex advisory board, and are regularly reviewed for accuracy, currency, and compliance with US Federal regulations from agencies such as OSHA and CMS. Also included in the subscription are full transcripts of each video program that are keyword searchable, easy playlist and clip making functionality, permanent embeddable URLs for easy use in online courses.
**Be sure to select "Subscribed Journals" from the Source drop-down menu**
Indexing and full-text of 175 journals in science, chemistry, nursing, biology and other related disciplines.
Browse all COD Library Health and Medicine databases
Need help using the Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health (CINAHL) Complete database?
- Use the features of the database (print, navigation) before using your browser's back or print buttons
- For keyword searching, use the advanced search feature so that you can use multiple terms and set limits (date range, peer-reviewed, full text, etc)
- Remember that databases require you to spell correctly
- CINAHL is the only database that allows you to limit the journal subset to NURSING
- To limit your search results to journals with editorial boards (or some type of review process by health professionals) look under the “limit” section of the initial search page. Select the option to limit to peer reviewed (some databases also call them refereed publications). Refereed publications and peer reviewed are synonyms for board-reviewed or scholarly journals. Don’t forget to set your date limits too!
- When creating your search strategy, take a moment to write down your key words and any synonyms (alternative words meaning the same thing) that might be used. Also think about how you connect your key words together.
- Connect different concepts with the word AND indicating that you want both concepts to appear in each retrieved article.
- Connect variations (different words could be used for the same thing) with OR indicating that at least one variation should occur in the articles retrieved.
- Put parentheses around actions that you want to be done first (just like you may have done in an algebra class).
- Here are some examples of synonyms and “nesting” (using parentheses):
- (aged OR geriatric OR old* OR elderly)
- (cancer OR neoplasm*)
- (surgery OR surgical procedure)
- Put the key concepts together like this example:
(aged OR geriatric OR old* OR elderly) AND (cancer OR neoplasm*) AND (surgery OR surgical procedure)
- capitalize connecting words (AND, OR) to let the database know that you are giving a command not just listing a word to be found
- Use an asterisk (*) to find all possible endings. For example, steril* finds sterile or sterilize or sterilization
CLICK HERE for tips and examples from Debra Smith, your COD Health Sciences Librarian, as well as video tutorials and help guides from CINAHL creators!
For even more assistance, try out this great CINAHL tutorial site from the University of Florida Health Sciences Libraries. It uses interactive Flash tutorials, guides and tip sheets to explain CINAHL's controlled subject headings, limits and boolean operators.