This is the guide for classes to research the "Victorian period" in England. This guide is meant to help you find quality sources in the historical context of literature you have been reading. This guide is not meant for literary analysis/criticism of Victorian literature but as a guide for research into this period's history in England.
Need to pick a topic?
Have no idea where to go next with your topic? Try these books first.
All are located in the Reference Collection in the Library.
- Encyclopedia of the Victorian Era
Ref DA550 .E527 2004
- The 1890's: an encyclopedia of British literature, art and culture
Ref DA 560 .A18 1993
- Victorian Britain
Ref DA 550 .V53 1988
- The London encyclopaedia
Ref DA 679 .L78 1986
- The Encyclopedia of the Victorian World : a reader's companion to the people, places, events, and everyday life of the Victorian era
Ref DA 550 .E53 1996
Finding Books using the Library Catalogs
Information about this time period can be found in a number of ways. Try subject and keyword searches in our Library Catalog first. This catalog allows you to search in I-SHARE and make requests for books from other college and university libraries in the state of Illinois. I-Share requests are usually fulfilled within 48-72 hours.
If you need to request books from other libraries, not part of I-Share, please allow 7-10 business days
for delivery. Requests can be made online with a library card. This is a free service.
Sample subject search for Great Britain History
Sample subject search Great Britain History Victoria 1837 1901
Sample keyword search for Victorian and Women
Some book examples from COD Library
Inside the Victorian home : a portrait of domestic life in Victorian England - HQ615 .F58 2004
Religion in Victorian Britain - BR759 .R43 1988
The rise of respectable society : a social history of Victorian Britain, 1830-1900 - DA550 .T53 1988
Energy & entropy : science and culture in Victorian Britain : essays from Victorian studies - Q175.52 .G7 E54 1989
Victorian masters of mystery : from Wilkie Collins to Conan Doyle - PR 878 .D4 P4 1984
The original illustrated Sherlock Holmes : 37 short stories plus a complete novel, comprising The adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The return of Sherlock Holmes and The hound of the Baskervilles - PR 4620 .A2 1978
The man who created Sherlock Holmes : the life and times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - PR4623 .L93 2007
Check out some Ebooks!
The C.O.D. Library has over 10,000 ebooks inside the library catalog. You just search for your subject and see if there are any ebooks which you can view and read right from where you are sitting. Just make sure the ebook is HELD BY College of DuPage. Here are some that should be useful:
- Daily life in Victorian England
Also in Print - DA533 .M675 1996
- Family ties in Victorian England
- Slumming: sexual and social politics in Victorian London
- Men of blood: violence, manliness and criminal justice in Victorian England
- Victorian London's middle-class housewife : what she did all day
Also in Print - HQ1600.L6 D73 2001
- The revolution of the dons: Cambridge and society in Victorian England
Click here to go to databases.
- Academic OneFile
- Academic Search Premier
- Literature Resource Center
- Project Muse
Use Advanced Search to limit your results.
Use Advanced Search.
Use this database for finding books written IN the Victorian period. Enter the name of the author or title of the work.
Use Advanced Search. Search terms like "Victorian," "England," "Britain," "19th Century," "daily life" all can be of use.
Use Advanced Search. Search terms like "Victorian," "England," "Britain," "19th Century" along with a field of study or area you are looking into.
- Victorian Web Sites
- Victorian Web
- Casebook: Jack the Ripper
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Darwinism
- The Complete Work of Charles Darwin Online
- Victoriana.com, Study Center: Women's fashions,1825-1840
- Victorian Dictionary
- Voice of the Shuttle - Victorian